Two Sisters (On the Terrace) was painted in 1881 depicting a scene on the terrace of the Fournaise family’s restaurant on the Seine River at Chatou, which is the same location used for “Luncheon of the Boating Party”.
The two girls in the painting were not actually related. The art dealer Paul Durand-Ruel invented the title Two Sisters when he bought the painting from Renoir in July 1881.
The painting is on display in the permanent collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. It was originally purchased from Renoir by Paul Durand-Ruel. It changed hands, but was eventually sold by Joseph Durand-Ruel [Paul’s son] in New York to Mrs Lewis (Annie S.) Coburn in 1925, and bequeathed to the Art Institute in 1933.